Describe a Time When You Saw a lot of Plastic Waste (e.g. in a park, on the beach, etc.)
You should say:
– Where and when you saw the plastic waste
– Why there was a lot of plastic waste
– What you did after you saw them
– And explain what your thoughts were about this
Sample answer 1
I’d like to share with you a time I saw plastic waste piling up on a beach. It was two years ago, I was on holiday in Bali. We booked a ho tel near a beach, where I found a lot of waste.
Normally the first thing about Bali that comes to mind would be its beautiful, pristine beaches. So I spent quite a lot of time hanging out on the beach, diving, riding a water scooter, or just lying in a deck chair and soaking up some rays. But one afternoon when I was taking a stroll along the beach, a huge, thick layer of plastic floating on the Ocean caught my sight. Then I literally saw a tide of plastic flowing nearer.
I was so shocked. I mean, I never imagined the beach on the paradisiacal island should feature not shells, but rather, plastic trash. Then during my stay on the island, one of the locals told me that every year during the wet season, from November to March, trash by the ton washes ashore, earning it the nickname garbage season!
I’d been hearing a lot about how marine species are being killed by all the plastic we are dumping in the ocean. The discovery of plastic containers, plastic bags, single-use plastic products on the beach showed a message about our excessive use of plastic, which was painfully obvious.
Certainly there’s a need for governments to work more on recycling programmes, and look at how technology is developing that can convert plastic into fuel. But when it comes down to it, everybody worldwide should realize how pressing the problem is. After all, we neither want our holiday to be spoilt by rubbish, nor plastic waste permeates our earth.
Sample answer 2
Well, this card reminds me of Zhongshan Park, which is only 5 minutes walk from my home. I had spent so much lovely time there since my grandmother first took me there when I was still a toddler. Surrounded by lush trees and clusters of gorgeous flowers, it never fails to catch our eyes and immerse people in its beauty.
But last week when I visited the park at the Mid-Autumn festival, everything was completely different from my memory. The whole park was desolate, and the crystal-clear water in the small lake was contaminated by the waste dumped by people living nearby. Hundreds of plastic bottles and bags were floating on the surface, with a stinky smell rising from them. All the flowers were gone. With a bit of shock, I left the park in no time.
Well, I have to say that the scene still lives rent-free in my mind. Probably because of the striking contrast between its past beauty and how it looks now. it is where I had a great time with my grandparents and my buddies, and I guess that’s why the memories I have from this place are still strong. So you can see how sad it is to see my “paradise” turning into a wasteland. I really would like the local people to stop making things worse so that the officials could take action to make a change.
1. Do you think we should use plastic product?
2. How can we reduce our use of plastic?
3. What kinds of plastic waste are often seen in your country?
4. Why do people like to use plastic products?
Some IELTS Speaking part 2 cue-cards you may like :
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 September to December 2022
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 September to December 2022
- (2022) Describe a time when you received money as a gift
- (Update 2022) Describe a problem you had while shopping online or in a store IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a program you like to watch IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a person who likes to dress fashionably/well IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a special day out that cost you little money Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a positive change that you made in your life Free lesson
Vocabulary: Cambridge Dictionary
Image : Photo by tanvi sharma on Unsplash