Describe a popular place for sports (e.g. a stadium) that you’ve been to
You should say:
– Where it is
– When you went there
– What you did there
– And explain how you felt about this place
Sample Answer 1
I like to talk about a swimming pool near my home. It is actually a community sports center with a swimming pool on the ground floor and a gym on the first floor. It is very popular because every time I go there it is filled with residents from all ages. So, last year I finally decided to learn how to swim, and I found out that there were swimming classes in that center so I signed up for it immediately.
The classes were taken place in the shallow area of the pool and there were eight students including me. All adults. The class for children were set on a different date so it wouldn’t be that crowded and messy in the pool.
I think that was very nice and the coach was really friendly and professional. He first helped us to choose some suitable equipments for beginners. You know like nose clips or ear plugs and a floating board. And then he told us how to take a breath while swimming. We learned breastroke because that was considered to be the easiest style of swimming. Actually that was not easy for me, I couldn’t keep the right movement and I always choked on water. But the coach you know he was really patient, He helped me to practice step by step and He really built up my confidence by comforting and encouraging me a lot.
So after several classes gradually I got used to the feeling and I was able to swim by myself. Now I will go to that swimming pool to practice my swimming skills from time to time. I really like that place because that’s where I learned swimming.
Sample Answer 2
I’d like to talk about a gym which is just a stone’s throw away from my home.
It was last year in November that I came across this gym. When I was waiting for the traffic light, a woman approached me and asked whether I had interest in going to gym. At the time, I just decided to work out regularly to build up my body, so I followed her to this gym to take a visit of the environment and facilities it has.
It’s a pretty large gym, divided into two areas, one of which is the body-building area with a wide range of weight-training machines like bench press, leg press, back seated machine, smith machine to name just a few. There’re also dumbbells and barbells of different weights for advanced bodybuilders. What’s more, there’re a row of treadmills with which you can burn calories, and also elliptical trainers that protects your knees if you don’t feel like using a treadmill. I was told that each member would be given full training in how to operate the equipment and there’s always a trainer on duty to offer help and advice.
Then there’s an area where members take free exercise lessons with fitness coaches, including yoga class, Zumba dancing, pilates, body combat, and stretching classes. The decoration is modern with all the mirrors on the wall so that you can adjust your posture when exercising. Another thing they offer is a four-lane swimming pool that is maintained at a constant temperate, which means members can go swimming all year round, even in cold winters.
I didn’t hesitate to sign up as a member not only because it’s a new gym with great facilities but also they offered discount of 20% off. It’s a real bargain. Now it has turned out to be a quite popular place for people living nearby to exercise. In fact, it’s so popular that you have to line up for equipment in the evening time when many people get off work and hit the gym.
Sample Answer 3
Where it is?
Well, actually I am not a sports addict, so I don’t usually go to stadiums. But there is a popular place for sports that is widely known in the city. It is called Fitness Zone, a gym located in the city center, on the top floor of a shopping mall. What makes the gym so famous is the swimming pool inside it. Whenever I go around the area, I would always attracted by its appearance.
Looking from afar, it is just like a crystal cube attached to the top of the building, glistering different shades of blue. And when I see so many people going there for a swim and posting photos and reflections of their wonderful experiences, I just couldn’t wait to try it out myself.
When you went there?
I still remember the day my friends and I went there for a trial.
What you did there?
When we changed our swimming suits, we spare no time rushing to the pool. When the whole space came into sight, it felt like we were in a new world. Standing next to the pool, we could enjoy a panoramic view of the whole area. Because the bottom of the pool was just a piece of glass and nothing else, it is transparent, and we could see it through down to the street below us, though a bit vague.
This is definitely not our average swimming pool backdrop but is definitely no less stunning.
How you felt about this place?
When we came down to the crystal clear and warm water, it was so comfortable just to feel my body flowing with the gentle waves. And towards evening, we sipped on our drinks while enjoying the golden sunset. Life couldn’t be better.
1. Do young people like to do sports?
– Yeah, I’d say a large proportion of/a majority of young people nowadays enjoy doing sports.
– The proliferation of gyms and sports clubs in recent years offers strong evidence for that. Besides, an increasing number of sports apps that have been developed in the last couple of years also allow young people to work out at home instead of getting a gym membership.
– However, there are still many young people who prefer a relatively sedentary lifestyle.
2. What are the benefits of sports for children?
– Children can benefit a great deal from regular physical exercise.
– For one thing, doing sports contributes to their growth. Kids who play sports like basketball on a regular basis generally grow faster than those who don’t.
– On top of that, a moderate amount of exercise every day can improve their health, making them more energetic during the day.
– Another benefit worth mentioning is that children would learn to collaborate with others when playing sports with their friends or fellow students, which can help develop children’s team spirit.
3. Is it necessary to build public sports spaces?
– It’s definitely necessary.
– It is the government’s responsibility to raise the overall health and wellness of citizens, and therefore local authorities should offer sports facilities in places like parks, squares, or anywhere near people’s residence. After all, not every one in our society can afford to hire a private coach in the gym. Apart from that, when a neighborhood is equipped with such sports facilities, people can have more opportunities to socialize with others in the community when they work out.
4. What do you think of companies donating sports venues for poor children?
– I think they are setting a very good example for all the companies out there.
– It’s true that companies are profit-driven, but they shouldn’t forget to give back to the society when they become financially successful. Their commitment in philanthropic work can not only help these less fortunate people live a better life, but also can earn them a good reputation, which in turn may lead to more business opportunities.
Some IELTS Speaking part 2 cue-cards you may like :
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 September to December 2022
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 September to December 2022
- (2022) Describe a Person You Know Who Loves to Grow Plants IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a Person You Know Who is From a Different Culture IELTS Cue Card
- (2022) Describe a Time When You Saw a lot of Plastic Waste (e.g. in a park, on the beach, etc.)
- (2022) Describe a Time When You Received Money as a Gift
- (Update 2022) Describe a Problem You Had While Shopping Online or in a Store IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a Program You Like to Watch IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a Person Who Likes to Dress Fashionably/Well IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2022) Describe a special day out that cost you little money Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a positive change that you made in your life Free lesson
Image : Photo by Marcus Ng on Unsplash