Table of Contents
IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Public Transportation
1. What kind of public transportation do you usually take?
Sample answer 1 (Band 7.5+): I take the metro on a regular basis coz it’s very punctual. And if I wanna transfer from Line One to Line Two, I just need to wait for no more than 2 minutes. Another good thing is, it’s incredibly time saving. You know, it only takes about 20 minutes to commute from the city center to the suburb.
Sample answer 2: Well, I’m not sure if shared bikes are a type of public transportation or not, but I do use that very often, it is very convenient to travel between different places on campus. For other times, I don’t use buses because the system in my city is poorly designed. Bus schedules are not reliable. I take uber rides instead.
|punctual (adj) /ˈpʌŋk.tʃu.əl/||arriving, doing something, or happening at the expected, correct time; not late||Please try to be punctual, so we can start the meeting on time.|
|time saving (adj) /ˈtaɪmˌseɪ.vɪŋ/||reducing the amount of time needed for doing something||Washing machines and vacuum cleaners are timesaving devices.|
|commute (v) /kəˈmjuːt/||to make the same journey regularly between work and home||It’s exhausting commuting from Brighton to London every day.|
|suburb (n) /ˈsʌb.ɜːb/||an area on the edge of a large town or city where people who work in the town or city often live.||Box Hill is a suburb of Melbourne.|
2. When do you usually take public transportation, in your everyday life or when are you travelling?
Sample answer 1 (Band 7.5+): I take the metro to work every day coz the metro station is not very far away from where I’m living right now. Yeah, it’s sort of like to enjoy the benefits of a favorable position. And I can sleep some more on weekdays, which is really amazing for a corporate slave like me.
3. Do most people prefer public transportation in your country?
Sample answer 1 (Band 7.5+) : I guess the answers is yes coz there are so many people queuing up to to go through security and get on the metro during the rush hour. In most cases, the compartment is jam-packed with people and even part of their bags are shut in the door.
Sample answer 2: I can’t say for the entire country, but from my understanding, most people would love to take public transportation if it is feasible. Unfortunately, at least in my city, people can’t rely on public transportation because the system is not that well designed. I think there is lots of room for improvement.
|queue up (phrasal verb) /kjuː/||to wait in a line of people, often to buy something||Dozens of people were queueing up to get tickets.|
|rush hour (n) /ˈrʌʃ ˌaʊər/||the busy part of the day when towns and cities are crowded, either in the morning when people are travelling to work, or in the evening when people are travelling home.||It takes twice as long to drive to work during rush hour.|
|compartment (n) /kəmˈpɑːt.mənt/||one of the separate areas inside a vehicle, especially a train.|
|jam-packed (adj)||packed tightly with people||The room was jammed.|
4. Did you take public transportation when you were a kid?
Well, it seems I didn’t take public transportation when I was little coz the school was within walking distance of my home. Honestly, I really miss the good old days. You know, there was no need for me to get up early to catch the bus.
5. Will there be more people taking public transportation in the future?
It’s hard to say about the future but I hope people will use more public transport instead of cars and motorbikes. Driving more just makes the air quality deteriorate , which negatively affects people’s health.
6. Do you prefer public transportation or private transportation?
I think a private vehicle is a better choice for me. To be honest with you, I can get car-sick easily. If I travel a far distance by bus or coach, I will get a terrible headache and even vomit.
7. How often do you take buses?
I use the bus almost everyday because like I said, it’s the cheapest way to get around even though it’s always overcrowded and not very punctual.
8. What’s the most popular means of transportation in your hometown?
It’s the bus, I would say. I see many students in my university going to school by bus on a daily basis, simply because it’s cheap. You know, a bus ticket costs only around five thousand VND, such an affordable price for anyone who is living on a tight budget and doesn’t have enough money to buy their own vehicle.
Some IELTS Speaking part 1 topics you may like:
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 September to December 2022
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 September to December 2022
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Technology
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Morning Time
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Birthday
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Social media Free Lesson
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Housework and cooking Free Lesson
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Puzzles Free Lesson
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Names – Free Lesson
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Singing – Free Lesson
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Geography Free Lesson
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Snacks – Free Lesson
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Study and Work – Free Lesson
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Accommodation – Free Lesson
- (2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic Hometown – Free Lesson
- (Update 2023) IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic The area you live in Free
Image : Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash
Vocabulary: Cambridge Dictionary