Table of Contents
Describe a Time When You Forgot/Missed an Appointment
You should say:
– What the appointment was for
– Who you made it with
– Why you forgot/missed it
– And explain how you felt about the experience
Sample Answer 1
Last month I went on a vacation to xiamen with my friend. And one night we decided to go to a very famous restaurant there. It was so popular that we had to reserve a table in advance on the internet. So we were really excited about it.
In that evening when we were about to leave the hotel for the restaurant. It started to rain heavily. At first, I thought it may stop real soon so we waited. But after a while, it didn’t seem to stop at all. We will get late if we continued to wait so we had to take a taxi to go there.
Unfortunately, it was very hard to get a taxi on the street at that moment because of the bad weather and you know the peak hour as well. Finally, we got one and we told the driver to hurry up because our appointment at that restaurant was 6 pm and we had only 20 minutes left.
Unluckily, the driver had no idea about that restaurant and also because of the bad traffic he drove unexpectedly slow. So when we were still on the taxi the clock hit 6 pm, I had to call the restaurant to see whether they could hold the table for us a little bit longer. But you know since the restaurant was such a hot spot, the receptionist told me they could only hold it for 10 more minutes.
It was obviously impossible for us to do that at that moment. Finally, we missed that appointment and went to another restaurant. It was such a shame, and it was all my fault. We shouldn’t have waited the rain to stop it was such a stupid idea.
Sample Answer 2
Introduce the topic to the examiner:
I’m going to talk about a time when I forgot my appointment with a human resource manager from a well-known multinational company.
What the appointment was for? Who you made it with?
I was an undergraduate in my junior year and was looking to find an internship program that summer vacation to gain some relevant practical experience. After filing my applications for a few companies, I received a call from a recruiter.
She congratulated me on passing the initial stage of the application and would like to arrange an interview for me. It was scheduled for the day after the final exam.
Why you forgot/missed it?
As the exam got closer, I spent more time reviewing the notes and reading tons of materials our lecturers had given to us. Apart from that, I was busy working on three papers and the deadlines for submission were just a few days away. Anyway, I had no extra time to prepare for the interview and in fact, the whole thing totally slipped my mind in the days leading up to the exam.
After taking the exam, my roommates and I decided to go backpacking in the west part of the province/decided to go on a shopping spree that afternoon and have dinner in a nice restaurant in downtown. We didn’t return to our campus until midnight and didn’t wake up until lunchtime the next day. As I was getting myself ready to go out, I received a call, as you might have guessed, from the recruiter, who reminded me to wear a formal suit and bring the documents needed for the interview.
How you felt about the experience?
Well, I almost got flustered the moment I heard those words and I didn’t know what to say to her, so I decided to be honest with her and explained why I couldn’t make it to the interview. Fortunately, she suggested I have the interview with their team online and send the documents through WeChat.
I feel so bad about forgetting the appointment. From then on, I’d note down every important arrangement on my smartphone.
1. How do people who are busy remember things they need to do?
Make TO-DO lists. Set reminders for important events. And record their meetings, appointments and other things on their calendar. Busy people must rely on these tools to keep their mind organized to better manage their time.
2. Do you think people should remember family history?
I think family milestones are worth remembering. It is important to remember the past as to not repeat it or to be mindful of how a family came to be.
3. If someone doesn’t really like whom they are going to meet, they may deliberately miss their appointment. Is that true? Why?
I don’t think so. That’s simply too rude to do. I mean, if they don’t like the person, they can make more than 100 good excuses to cancel the meeting without keeping them waiting and hanging them out to dry.
4. Which is more important, a work-related appointment or an appointment with a friend? Why?
Both are important. People should simply keep their promise and show up at the appointment. If they have scheduling conflicts, one should talk to them honestly and reschedule the meeting.
Some IELTS Speaking part 2 cue-cards you may like :
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 September to December 2022
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 September to December 2022
- (2023) Describe a Popular Place for Sports (e.g. a Stadium) That You’ve been to
- (2023) Describe a Person You Know Who Loves to Grow Plants IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2023) Describe a Person You Know Who is From a Different Culture IELTS Cue Card
- (2023) Describe a Time When You Saw a lot of Plastic Waste (e.g. in a park, on the beach, etc.)
- (2023) Describe a Time When You Received Money as a Gift
- (Update 2023) Describe a Problem You Had While Shopping Online or in a Store IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2023) Describe a Program You Like to Watch IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2023) Describe a Person Who Likes to Dress Fashionably/Well IELTS Cue Card
- (Update 2023) Describe a special day out that cost you little money Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe a positive change that you made in your life Free lesson
Image : Photo by shawnanggg on Unsplash