Describe an occasion that you lost something
You should say:
– What you lost
– When and where you lost it
– What you did to find it
– And explain how you felt about it
Ok, what I’m gonna talk about is the time I left my smartphone in a taxi, which is a really silly thing to do, I know’, but sometimes I can be quite careless, just like everyone can be on occasion. The phone is a gift my mother gave me on my 16th birthday, and though it looks quite old, it does carry much sentimental value to me.
Anyway, as for when I lost my mobile, well thinking about it, I suppose it must’ve been a couple of years ago by now, as I seem to remember I was still living in my old apartment at the time. And regarding what I was doing when it happened, well basically, I was in a taxi on my way back home from the city centre, as I’d just been out clothes shopping, so I had quite a few bags with me, and I guess this partly explains how I somehow managed to leave my phone behind in the taxi.
So as for how felt after I realized what I’d done, well, if I remember correctly, my first reaction was that of disbelief, you know, I was thinking to myself, how could I have been so stupid as to leave it there. And what made it all the more frustrating was the fact that I hadn’t asked the driver for a receipt, which I normally always do, so there was no way I could get in touch with the taxi company and track down the taxi which I took.
Naturally of course, I tried to call my phone as soon as I realized what had happened, but as guessed, it had already been switched off, either by the driver or the next person who got into the taxi.
Right after the incident, I gave the taxi company a ring to see if some driver happened to see it. However, all my efforts went in vain when no one seemed to have said they found the item. I felt down in the dumps for the rest of the day, just thinking about the gift of my mother that had vanished forever.
1. Why a lot of people often throw things?
The reason is that people are quite absent-minded is they have too much on their plate to worry about. Work-related assignments, child upbringing, to name but a few, make people easily forget stuff. It’s easy to catch sight of those who forget where they have left their car keys or mobile phones the moment they embark on another task. At the end of the day, the hectic lifestyle is most to blame.
2. In general, what kinds of things do people most often lose?
Well thinking about it, I would say the stuff that people nowadays lose most easily seems to be things we carry around with US a lot. like keys, glasses and mobile phones. And as to why this is the case, well I guess it’s probably because these are things that we often tend to put down without much thought. So in other words, what I mean is that our minds are often on something else when we put these things down, which is fine if you’re at home, but if you’re in a restaurant or some other public place, then you could well end up losing whatever it was you left on the table, which I admit I’ve done on several occasions!
3. What would you do if you found something that someone had lost?
Well, I guess the first thing I would do would be to try’ and find out whom the thing belonged to. And if that wasn’t possible, then I would probably take whatever it was to the staff who worked at the place where I found it. So for example, if I was in a hotel, then I would take the item to the reception and inform the staff there.
4. How do people find what’s missing?
Usually, after some time searching every comer in the house, people can run into the item they have left elsewhere. If it’s a phone, they can try living it a rind to spot the location where it is. However, if the item is off great monetary value, people often ask their families or the support of the authorities to sort out the matter. For example, when you lose a motorbike parked outside a shop, b’s quite hopeless if you try to look for it on your own.
Some IELTS Speaking part 2 cue-cards you may like :
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 May to August 2022
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 May to August 2022
- (Update 2023) Describe an invention that has changed the world in a positive way Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe a special day out that cost you little money Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe a positive change that you made in your life Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe something that surprised you Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe something you do that can help you concentrate on work or study Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe a contest or competition you would like to participate in Free lesson
- (Update 2023) Describe a family member who you want to work with in the future Free lesson
Image : Photo by Luis Villasmil on Unsplash