Describe an invention that has changed the world in a positive way
You should say:
– What it is
– What benefits it has brought
– How it influences people of different ages
– And explain how it changed people’s lives
The past few years have been the golden era of advanced technology, and I suppose household appliances are no exception. I’m going to describe the refrigerator as a household equipment that I find most useful for my family.
My mom loves cooking and she’s actually a good cook. She’s mainly responsible for shopping for healthy food and cooking scrumptious meals for all of us. And as a matter of fact, our refrigerator is essential when it comes to food storage. Its size is perfect for the corner area in our kitchen, yet big enough to store a large amount of food for the whole family. We keep the vegetables and certain kinds of fruits at the bottom, whereas the leftovers are kept on top. And some cakes that are made by my mom are kept cold in the middle.
As regards my family meals, fresh meat and seafood is a must. In particular I cannot go a day without a single piece of pork or beef. Thus, the fridge has always done a great job of keeping the meat and seafood fresh all the time. Besides, ice cream bought by my dad every two to three weeks is also stored in the same freezer.
Refrigerator is a wonderful technological invention I must say. It is an indispensable appliance for almost every household. Since the country possesses tropical weather and particularly quite high outside temperature these days, it is difficult to keep the vegetables or meat fresh even for a few days. I think down the line if I ever move away, the fridge is definitely on top of my must-have list.
1. How has technology made our life easier?
Different technologies have made our lives easier in different ways. However, in effect, most technologies reduce our labour and save us valuable time, thus improving our quality of life considerably. They also in a way reduce our need on others because we can do everything on our own.
2. Which invention do you think is the most useful at home?
I think it’s very hard to choose one. It really depends upon the person and their use. For example, I find dishwashers as very useful because in my house, I have the responsibility of washing utensils. For my mother the answer might be the vacuum cleaner as she is responsible for cleaning.
3. Is it more difficult for old people to accept new technologies?
I think change is difficult for everyone, and the difficulty increases with age because the time we spend accustomed to something also increases as we grow older. I think rather than looking at it as a problem, we should be focusing on ways to making it easier for our elders to accept them.
4. What can be done to help old people learn to make use of new technologies?
Many steps can be taken to encourage the use of new technologies. Firstly, these big technology companies can organise seminars where older people can be taught about use of latest gadgets. I remember when my mother first bought a laptop, she was offered a free two hour session on its use for the whole week. At the end of the week, she knew many things, I didn’t. Secondly, family members can also be helpful in helping their parents and grandparents when they are finding something difficult.
5. Will our life be better if we live without technology?
Technology has improved our life in many ways but it has also brought many challenges. Life would certainly be simpler, but I wouldn’t call it better. Moreover, I think we have become so accustomed to technology just the idea of living without it is unfathomable.
Some IELTS Speaking part 2 cue-cards you may like :
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 May to August 2022
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 May to August 2022
- (Update 2022) Describe a special day out that cost you little money Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a positive change that you made in your life Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe something that surprised you Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe something you do that can help you concentrate on work or study Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a contest or competition you would like to participate in Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a family member who you want to work with in the future Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a time you were very busy Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe an important river/lake in your country Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe an interesting neighbor Free lesson
- (Update 2022) Describe a place in a village that you visited Free
- (Update 2022) Describe a long walk you ever had Free
Image : Photo by Naomi Hébert on Unsplash